Table of Contents
- Accessibility Evaluation
- PHP & Python
Complete the following W3Schools tutorials and any prerequisite tutorials, as needed.
- Learn XHTML
- Learn CSS
It is important that all pages coded by CDL comply with Section 508 of the Rehabilitation Act. Section 508 of the Rehabilitation Act requires access to electronic and information technology procured by Federal agencies. The Access Board developed accessibility standards for the various technologies covered by the law. These standards have been folded into the Federal government’s procurement regulations.
Open a browser with a site you have made and the readings the readings below. As you read through the concepts and techniques below, evaluate the accessibility of your site.
- Complete a couple of the WebAIM Simulations to experience some of the challenges of someone with these disabilities. This will give you a better understanding of the importance of creating accessible sites. Here are some things to think about:
- What were your expectations on how people with disabilities experience the Web?
- How did they change after this activity?
- Did you make any discoveries during the activity?
- What was your biggest challenge?
- How would you apply this when designing your site?
- Read the following articles and begin evaluating the accessibility of your site.
- Considering the User perspective: A Summary of Design Issues
- Evaluating Web Site Accessibility
- Creating Semantic Structure
- Creating Accessible Tables
PHP & Python
The following tutorials will give a general overview of the two high programming languages utilized by the Techrangers.
PHP is a widely-used general-purpose scripting language that is especially suited for Web development and can be embedded into HTML. If you’ve had no expierence (or little expierence) with PHP, go through Webmonkey’s PHP Tutorial for Beginners. For some more advanced PHP topics and tutorials visit tuts+.
Python is a programming language that lets you work more quickly and integrate your systems more effectively. You can get a basic understanding of how to use Python by going through the “Learn the Basics” section over at Learn Python. For a more indepth and advanced overview of Python we recommend Learn Python The Hard Way.
If you don’t have a portfolio or personal site to display your work you may want to consider making one. A personal portfolio is a great way to show off your skills to potential clients and employeers and goes well beyond a traditional résumé. Having gone through the training above you should now have the skills to complete a basic portfolio to show off all the awesome things you’ve accomplished!